West Virginia Mountain Rail Adventures
Choose Your 2015 West Virginia Mountain Rail Adventure Early This Year!Spring in West Virginia brings a kaleidoscope of blossoming color to the mountains. The “Mountain State”, known for its blazing autumn canvas, displays as much color and beauty in spring as it does in fall.
Crystal clear, bubbling streams cascade down the mountains, dropping over waterfalls of varying depths, to pools alive with native trout. Mountainsides shimmer with colorful spring flowers and native flowering trees. The entire landscape is a pure, wondrous sight for winter-weary eyes!
There is no better way to enjoy the awakening of this natural display in Randolph and Pocahontas counties than from a warm and comfortable seat on the New Tygart Flyer, one of several Mountain Rail Adventures offered by the Durbin & Greenbrier Valley Railroad. This rail excursion company operates historic steam-driven locomotives and vintage diesel-powered passenger trains that depart the three historic depots of Elkins, Durbin and Cass – April through December. Most Mountain Rail excursions include on-board food service options.
Mountain Rail Adventure excursions explore the more remote regions of the mountains where even automobiles cannot access! Trips range from day-long excursions into the Monongahela National Forest to shorter sight-seeing trips along the banks of the Greenbrier, Tygarts Valley and Shaver’s Fork rivers. From Cass, consider the two hour Whittaker trip in mid-May on historic cars pulled by the mighty steam-powered Shays, or an excursion to the top of West Virginia’s third highest peak – Bald Knob.
NEW TYGART FLYERThe New Tygart Flyer departs the Elkins Depot Saturdays and Sundays in May for an excursion to the High Falls of Cheat until May 22, when the schedule expands to include Fridays. Early spring excursions offer high mountain stream cascades, wildflowers and the spring budding of the Appalachian hardwood forests. On Saturday, May 2 enjoy the Spring Blossom Special with flutist Katy McClane on board.
Every Sunday in May is Special with historic performances on the platform by the Old Brick Playhouse, and on Sunday, May 17 be inspired on an excursion to the High Falls with the Mountain Memories Band on the Gospel Sing Train.
DURBIN ROCKETFor the more adventurous, the Durbin Rocket is the signature steam-driven locomotive, just perfect for kids. It departs the Durbin Depot beginning the weekend of April 25-26 on Saturdays and Sundays until Memorial Day Weekend when the schedule opens to Thursday through Sunday. The Rocket chugs alongside the Greenbrier River allowing great views from its open and closed cars which offer ample opportunity to move about. There’s always something to see and do!
Choose Your Mountain Rail Adventure!
We offer a first-hand look at the natural wonder that makes West Virginia a truly wild and wonderful vacation destination! Choose your Mountain Rail Adventure:
• NEW for 2015! Cass Scenic Railroad joins the Durbin & Greenbrier Valley Railroad roster of Mountain Rail Adventures! Cass Scenic Railroad offers the two-hour Whittaker Station ride beginning May 19 and the popular mountaintop excursion to Bald Knob beginning May 22. (DEPARTS CASS, WV)
• Also, NEW for 2015! The “Wild Heart of West Virginia Adventure Package” offers a combined ride on two trains with one ticket – the Cass Scenic Railroad and the Cheat Mountain Salamander, with overnight package options in Elkins or Cass. (DEPARTS ELKINS, CHEAT BRIDGE & CASS, WV)
• Wilderness excursions on the 1920 vintage Cheat Mountain Salamander or the smooth, climate-controlled passenger train, the New Tygart Flyer. (DEPARTS ELKINS, WV)
• Riverside jaunts in open air cars behind a rare steam locomotive on the Durbin Rocket. (DEPARTS DURBIN, WV)
• Stay overnight in the Castaway Caboose – the ultimate riverside camping experience in the wilderness! (DEPARTS DURBIN, WV)
• For just the two of you, reserve an evening on the Mountain Explorer Dinner Train. (DEPARTS ELKINS, WV)
• Enjoy the event of your choice on any one of our trains – daytime or nighttime – we offer a full schedule of events. (SEARCH BY TRAIN)
• Experience a Holiday like none other aboard the THE POLAR EXPRESS™ Train Ride. (DEPARTS ELKINS, WV)