West Virginia Mountain Rail Adventures
Choose Your 2015 West Virginia Mountain Rail Adventure!Summer in West Virginia brings a kaleidoscope of color to the mountains. The “Mountain State”, known for its blazing autumn canvas, displays as much color and beauty all summer long.
Crystal clear, bubbling streams cascade down the mountains, dropping over waterfalls of varying depths, to pools alive with native trout. Mountainsides shimmer with the myriad forest greens of summer. The entire landscape is a pure, wondrous delight!
There is no better way to enjoy the West Virginia mountains of Randolph and Pocahontas counties than from a warm and comfortable seat on the New Tygart Flyer, one of several Mountain Rail Adventures offered by the Durbin & Greenbrier Valley Railroad. This rail excursion company operates historic steam-driven locomotives and vintage diesel-powered passenger trains that depart the three historic depots of Elkins, Durbin and Cass – April through December. Most Mountain Rail excursions include on-board food service options.
Mountain Rail Adventure excursions explore the more remote regions of the mountains where even automobiles cannot access! Trips range from day-long excursions into the Monongahela National Forest to shorter sight-seeing trips along the banks of the Greenbrier, Tygarts Valley and Shaver’s Fork rivers. From Cass, consider the two hour Whittaker trip in mid-May on historic cars pulled by the mighty steam-powered Shays, or an excursion to the top of West Virginia’s third highest peak – Bald Knob.
NEW TYGART FLYERThe New Tygart Flyer departs the Elkins Depot Thursday thru Sunday for an excursion to the High Falls of Cheat. Enjoy high mountain stream cascades, wildflowers and the Appalachian hardwood forests.
DURBIN ROCKETFor the more adventurous, the Durbin Rocket is the signature steam-driven locomotive, just perfect for kids. It departs the Durbin Depot Thursday thru Sunday. The Durbin Rocket chugs alongside the Greenbrier River allowing great views from its open and closed cars which offer ample opportunity to move about. There’s always something to see and do!
Choose Your Mountain Rail Adventure!
We offer a first-hand look at the natural wonder that makes West Virginia a truly wild and wonderful vacation destination! Choose your Mountain Rail Adventure:
• NEW for 2015! Cass Scenic Railroad joins the Durbin & Greenbrier Valley Railroad roster of Mountain Rail Adventures! Cass Scenic Railroad offers the two-hour Whittaker Station ride beginning May 19 and the popular mountaintop excursion to Bald Knob beginning May 22. (DEPARTS CASS, WV)
• Also, NEW for 2015! The “Wild Heart of West Virginia Adventure Package” offers a combined ride on two trains with one ticket – the Cass Scenic Railroad and the Cheat Mountain Salamander, with overnight package options in Elkins or Cass. (DEPARTS ELKINS, CHEAT BRIDGE & CASS, WV)
• Wilderness excursions on the 1920 vintage Cheat Mountain Salamander or the smooth, climate-controlled passenger train, the New Tygart Flyer. (DEPARTS ELKINS, WV)
• Riverside jaunts in open air cars behind a rare steam locomotive on the Durbin Rocket. (DEPARTS DURBIN, WV)
• Stay overnight in the Castaway Caboose – the ultimate riverside camping experience in the wilderness! (DEPARTS DURBIN, WV)
• For just the two of you, reserve an evening on the Mountain Explorer Dinner Train. (DEPARTS ELKINS, WV)
• Enjoy the event of your choice on any one of our trains – daytime or nighttime – we offer a full schedule of events. (SEARCH BY TRAIN)
• Experience a Holiday like none other aboard the THE POLAR EXPRESS™ Train Ride. (DEPARTS ELKINS, WV)